Sub-machine Gun (or SMG) is an automatic carbine designed to fire pistol cartridges. They are primarily used by police forces and military special forces for close-quarter fighting because of their small size, light profile, and pistol caliber bullets that are less likely to over-penetrate objects and cause injuries to innocent bystanders.
Submachine guns are classified as primary weapons in CrossFire. They generally have a high firing rate, moderate accuracy, low recoil, low to medium damage, lightweight, and medium-high ammo capacity. They are chambered in different pistol calibers and vary in size and shape (some are also considered as Personal Defense Weapon, which has compact size as well as enough stopping power like P90).
SMGs are the common weapons for new soldiers because most of the sub-machine guns usually have low-rank requirements or even no rank requirements at all. Experienced players often use them for run-and-gun tactics or simply rushing at enemies & drying out the entire magazine.
Submachine guns are primarily used for rushing enemy forces, where they can best utilize their lightweight and rapid-fire rate to quickly get near opponents and shower them with lead at close quarters.
SMGs are powerful at close range, however, they tend to lose their accuracy and power with distance. Some submachine guns also have poor accuracy, making long-range accuracy almost non-existent. A few SMGs that use rifle cartridges like Micro Galil have good damage dealing and long-range capabilities (though still weaker than most rifles).
SMGs are generally at a disadvantage when facing assault rifles and sniper rifles at medium-long range, but expert usage from professional players can negate this.
Certain SMGs utilize JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) ammunition, which tag enemies and slow down their running speed upon successful hits. It makes them very dangerous in close to medium distance, giving their opponents almost zero chance to run away.
- Machine Pistols (Uzi, TMP, MAC-10 etc) and Personal Defense Weapons (Kinetics CPW, P90, MP7, etc.) should also be classified as SMGs. However, there are non-SMGs which are categorized as SMGs and vice-versa by CrossFire.
- Micro GALIL is an Assault Rifle that is categorized as an SMG.
- XM177 is an Assault Rifle that is categorized as an SMG.
- SR-3M is an Assault Rifle that is categorized as an SMG.
- AR-57 is an SMG that is categorized as an Assault Rifle.
- K1A is technically an Assault Rifle as using intermediate cartridge. However, South Korea's government classifies K1A as SMG (due to its compact size) while the rest of other countries mostly considered its as a carbine or assault rifle. See here.
- All submachine guns in CF incorrectly eject rifle casings while firing. This is because CrossFire has only one type of bullet casing model for ejecting shells (a 5.56x45mm casing to be exact).
Due to their natures, SMGs are incredibly dangerous when receiving an ammo boost from Thompson-Infernal Dragon - a full 42 extra rounds effectively doubles magazine for most SMGs whereas Rifles can only receive 12 rounds at max. Coupled with the JHP ammo on certain SMGs, this weapon class is outright overpowered in certain modes where closed quarter combats are common (Such as Mutation Mode & variants) or when buffed up with other mode-specific skill (Such as Wave & Super Soldier Mode).
- Submachine gun at Wikipedia.